Conference to convene national experts on opioid addiction
New York, N.Y./ March 14, 2018 – The American Association for the Treatment of Opioid Dependence, Inc. (AATOD) will host its 2018 Conference March 10 – 14, 2018 at the New York Marriott Marquis in Times Square. The theme of the conference, “Advancing & Integrating Specialized Addiction Treatment & Recovery,” will encompass discussion of medication for opioid use disorder, the coordination of care for substance use disorder treatment, and methodologies for treatment that leads to better outcomes and recovery.
Patrick J. Kennedy, founder of The Kennedy Forum and lifelong mental health advocate, will deliver the closing keynote address. In addition to sharing unique insights from his time in Congress and his journey in long-term recovery, Kennedy will discuss the complexities of addiction treatment within our current health care system; the importance of technology and medication-assisted treatment (MAT) in expanding access and quality of care; the need for full enforcement of the Federal Parity Law; and his experience serving on The President’s Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis.
According to the AATOD website, conference objectives include:
- To present the latest evidence relevant to the field and critically evaluate the implications for patients, clinicians, administrators, and policy makers.
- To disseminate evaluation and treatment techniques to better serve patients and providers, improve program development and administration, and enhance patient outcomes.
- To develop strategies to assist healthcare partnerships and collaborations by advancing their understanding of medication for opioid use disorder as a crucial element to community wellness.
- To improve the collaboration between opioid treatment programs and community partners in response to the heightened risks associated with the use of opioids.
- To formulate methods to promote, support, facilitate, and integrate medication for opioid use disorder into the judicial and penal systems, government, and social service organizations.
- To discuss the magnitude and impact of prescription opioids on the healthcare system and Opioid Treatment Programs.
For more information, visit https://www.regonline.com/builder/site/default.aspx?EventID=1953957
About The Kennedy Forum
Founded in 2013 by former Congressman Patrick J. Kennedy (D-R.I.), The Kennedy Forum leads a national dialogue on transforming the health care system by uniting mental health advocates, business leaders, and government agencies around a common set of principles, including full implementation of the Federal Parity Law. Launched in celebration of the 50th anniversary of President Kennedy’s signing of the landmark Community Mental Health Act, the nonprofit aims to achieve health equity by advancing evidence-based practices, policies, and programming for the treatment of mental health and addiction issues. The Kennedy Forum publishes frequent issue briefs and is a repository of other educational resources and tools focused on parity. To learn more, visit www.thekennedyforum.org.